Sunday, January 17, 2010

You washed your hair with what??


This story starts out with me running out of shampoo. There was nothing in the shower but bars of soap and an empty shampoo bottle (by the time I noticed this it was too late to rummage through the cupboards). So I thought, what the heck, I'll try out my goatmilk soap on my hair. I mean, it's nice on my skin, might be nice on my hair, worth a try!

It lathered up nicely and felt good in my hair, even upon rinse out. I have some highlights in my hair, so it tends to feel straw like if I use the wrong product. Well, I didn't get any of that "straw hair" feeling. I added a tiny bit of conditioning, rinsed and wrapped my hair in a towel.

Comb out, no tangles. Nice! Still no straw hair, thank goodness. It dried nicely and hubby said my hair looked great! Even the next day, it felt pretty good. Which got the old gears turning...why don't I formulate a soap bar specifically for hair??

Now I want to preface all this with a couple things...first, bar soap does not work for everyone's hair. I did some reading and it seems that folks with hard water don't get good results with bar soap. Also, it is recommended that an acidic rinse follows the shampoo. Something like diluted apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or citric acid. Even then there is no guarantee that bar soap will work for you. But, if you are one of the lucky one's who's hair LOVES bar soap, you will never go back to the synthetic bottled stuff. I mean, why would you?

So I got something down on paper for a bar soap designed for hair. Something with plenty of castor oil, olive, coconut, jojoba and maybe wheatgerm. I also want to infuse some hair loving herbs like rosemary, maybe add some milk or silk to the mix. Still researching, but it sounds good to me so far!

Other advantages to using shampoo bar soap on your hair: no artificial ingredients or preservatives (liquid shampoo is made from surfactants, water is added which needs a preservative), no plastic packaging so there's nothing to junk up our landfills.

Anyway, I have plenty to do before I play with this, but I'd really like to try this out soon. I will report back when I get something made, maybe even offer up a free trial if there is interest.

No comments: