Friday, March 26, 2010

Follow up: Laundry and Deodorant

Busy out in the workshop today...restocking 'Pacific Blue', 'Garden Mint' and 'Lemon Bouquet'.

I also whipped up a batch of 100% coconut oil soap. While this might make great soap for sailors (it's the only soap that will lather well in cold, salty water), I actually made this batch for my laundry. Once its ready, I'll grate it fine, add some washing soda and borax, then give it a spin (literally!). We're planning to use our laundry greywater for the garden this summer, so I'm looking for something without artificial fragrances, sulfates, or preservatives.

I'm on to formula #3 for my version of body deodorant, and I think I've found a keeper. The first two versions were to "wet" feeling, batch #3 feels just about right. It will go into testing mode (on us, friends, and family) and if I get thumbs up, then it will be added to our summer product line. So far, I've been loving it. The ingredients are all food grade items and the essential oils were chosen for their anti bacterial properties. Here are the ingredients:
Mango butter, coconut oil, arrowroot power, tapioca starch, kaolin clay, essential oils of sage, lavender and cedar.

I plan to make one other scent, tea tree/lemongrass. And, I have this awesome idea to save on packaging waste! I'll share that another time...

No comments: