Monday, March 15, 2010

Green Living - Laundry

As long as I can remember, I have always had what I like to call 'a pioneer spirit'. I love having a vegetable garden, tending fruit trees, putting up the harvest, sewing, baking my own bread, and living as frugal as possible. So I'm always on the look out for articles on how I can go even further in my effort to live simply.

Here's my latest find: dryer balls. In the summer, I line dry all our clothes. But on the wet and cool days, I've got to use the electric clothes dryer. It takes at least an hour for my clothes to dry...just think of the energy that's being used there!

I ran across an article in the paper today about dryer balls. Basically, they are felted balls of wool that you throw in the dryer with your wet clothes. They supposedly help reduce drying time, reduce static cling and soften clothes naturally! Sounds good! You can buy them online at places like etsy, or if you're like me, try your hand at making some. You can use 100% wool yarn from old sweaters and socks. I just happen to have a small stash of wool scraps from a previous felting project that I think will work great.

I can't vouch that these dryer balls will work, but I'm willing to give it a try of it will help reduce my energy bill! For those who use commercial dryer sheets, you really ought to give these a try. Those dryer sheets are made from petroleum, plus they're loaded with artificial fragrances and have been linked to headaches, rashes, nausea and other health concerns. Try a more natural alternative for your health and that of your pocketbook.

Make Your Own Wool Dryer Balls

No comments: