Thursday, January 17, 2008

Taking a quick break for lunch


I've been very busy in the workshop, but I'm taking a quick 5 minute break to rest my muscles and grab a bite to eat. I'm making my large batches now. Each batch is about 50 pounds. Whew!

Anyway, I often get questions about the shea butter that I'm always going on and on about. Many people don't know what it is or where it comes from. In a nut shell (no pun intended), shea butter comes from the nut of the fruit that grows on a karite tree. These trees cannot be cultivated and grow naturally in Africa.

A friend of ours took a trip to Ghana last year and brought back some wonderful pictures of the native people processing the shea butter by hand. I'm posting a picture of the karite tree, I think they are quite beautiful.

The shea butter we get comes from Ghana and is not refined in any way. Any time you buy a product that includes shea butter, be sure that it's *unrefined*. Solvents are used to refine most shea butter, which means that all the skin loving goodies are stripped out, along with the golden/greenish color and natural nutty scent. So basically, its a waste of money to buy a product that uses unrefined shea because all the beneficial nutrients are gone. Along with the possibility of lingering traces of solvent. Yuck!

So that's a little quick blurb on shea butter. Oh, did I mention that our shea butter is fair trade also?

Ok, break over. I made 'Pacific Blue' and 'High Sierra' today because I'm out of stock on these. I'm also breaking in a new soap...my new lime soap...I think will be named 'Persian Lime'. This one is my current favorite and it should be up on my website in about a week.

Cheers!

No comments: