Monday, March 8, 2010

The Great Deodorant Debate

To antiperspirant or to deodorant? That is the age old question. Do you buy into the marketing hype of the big commercial companies and the tag line "never let them see you sweat"? Or do you prefer a more natural product? What choices do you have today and are they really safe? Good questions!

Since I am a big proponent of using real soap with essential oils for scent and products that don't need a preservative, I've always got my mind on the big picture. If it's important to make healthy life style choices, why am I using potentially dangerous after shower products on my body?

Hence our antiperspirant boycott! My husband and I have shelved our previously preferred antiperspirants (those big brand named ones, I won't mention them but it's no Secret and I'm Sure you know which ones I speak of). My husband has chosen to go au naturel. Me? I'm a bit of a chicken, so I have picked up a fairly well known brand of deodorant from our local natural food store. Here are the ingredients:

Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Cyclomethicone, Talc, Silica, Sodium Hydroxide, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed OiI, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Zingiber Officinal (Ginger) Root Extract.

Hmm...most of these ingredients I can identify, but there are a few which concerned me and I felt they really didn't belong in a supposedly "natural" product. Here are a few:

Propylene Glycol

A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

Talc

Talc is a mineral, produced by the mining of talc rocks and then processed by crushing, drying and milling. Processing eliminates a number of trace minerals from the talc, but does not separate minute fibers which are very similar to asbestos.

I think this product will soon be shelved as I don't care to have antifreeze ingredients in my arm pits! So why do I mention all of this? Mostly to help educate and encourage others to question the ingredients in their personal care products. Don't take any one's word for it, do your own research.

I didn't mention much about antiperspirants...for me, it's a no brainer. Never forget the link between aluminium chlorohydrate (the active ingredient in commercial antiperspirants) and Alzheimer's disease. Pretty scary. I've even read about a possible link to breast cancer.

So what's next in our natural deodorant quest? Something made in my workshop, most likely. I'll share more as I continue with my research and testing. In the meantime, what are you using and have you ever read the ingredient label?

4 comments:

Los Gatos Girl said...

I'll be happy to be a guinea pig :-)

Serena said...

This is basically the recipe we've been using for the past, um, 9 months? possibly more: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/02/homemade-all-natural-deodorant.html

I add lavender essential oil, and it lasts us a reallllly long time (in the link it says 3 months for 2 people, but our first batch lasted at least 6 months). I put Graham's in an old (Trader Joe's all natural) deodorant container, but I just scoop a tiny bit out of an old yogurt container (the stuff that wouldn't fit in the deodorant container) and use my fingers to apply. You really don't need much.

Serena said...

Oh, another thing. In stopping using antiperspirants and using only all-natural deodorant, I no longer have wetness under my arms soaking my shirts. A-hem. This girl elaborates a bit on that here: http://madenoughtips.blogspot.com/2009/08/homemade-deodorant-caution-tmi-ahead.html (which is actually where I got the recipe in the first place).

Ivan said...

Thanks for sharing, Serena!